Saturday, February 22, 2014

Mexican recados and the dance marathon

Doug Arrives

Friend Doug arrived here from Boston at almost 10 pm on Monday night. His flight on Sunday had been cancelled, and his re-routing took three planes and, ultimately, 16 hours door to door. Fortunately, waking up in Ajijic seems to cure everything. We've had a lot of fun so far exploring Ajijic, taking the bus into Chapala, having some grand meals, and walking interminable distances.

Jewelery on the Chapala Malecon

The Bimbo T-shirt store

As a result, we decided that yesterday, Thursday, we'd take it easier and walk a bit less. Good plan.

__________________________________________________________

A Mexican Recado

The word "recado" in Mexican Spanish means errand, and in México errands are rarely straightforward. In fact, it's one of those things that separate the folks who really belong here from those who made a dreadful mistake and should be back in AZ.

Thursday about 10:30 we went across the road to Los Molletes for brunch, which was nice.
We then walked along the malecon beside the lake, up Colon, and stopped into Diane Pearl's at the corner of Constitución and Colón, a boutique which is just chock-a-block with beautiful crafts and jewelery. Doug had bought his wife, Dene, a Bimbo t-shirt. I gently suggested that while the t-shirt was fun, something else might be called for. Big mistake. First, Doug bought a lovely painting of three musicians, about 30"by 20" done by a local artist. Then a necklace, some wine glasses, margarita glasses, and who can remember what else. All this was wrapped into bubble wrap ... And then we had to decide how to get it back to Boston. Doug came with a carry-on, and did not want to check it on the way home.

[An aside here. I do not understand people who are going on holiday and who fret about checking a bag. Sure - go overnight for a business meeting, and I can relate. But why drive yourself crazy over what is typically a 15 minute wait - max. Beats me. I mean, you're on holiday - whats the flippin' rush???]

One of Diane's assistants mentioned that there is a Fedex store over by Los Toritos, the supermarket that's only a klick away. Off we went. Since this was the day we were going to give our legs a rest, we looked for a cab at the usually occupied sitio [cab stand] but none were to be had. Off we went by foot. Painting under my arm, goblets and such like under Doug's. We arrived at the store where the clerk worked the computer and then asked where our boxes were. This Fedex store does not sell boxes. Are you beginning to get the point about this being a Mexican errand?

Off again, this time by cab to the Mailboxes, Etc. store which does sell boxes. But the vidrio [glass] can only be shipped if it's in a wooden box. Oh, but they can ship the painting. The quite dour clerk plays with the computer for a while. Sure, señor, only US$250. Doug looks at me and says, "I'll check my bag." I confess to losing my Mexican cool and giving him a dirty look. Back to the plaza where I persuade Doug to buy a straw bag large enough to put his painting and glasses in.

Finally home at 3 pm which is the normal time for a day we are not taking it easy!

__________________________________________________________

The Dance of the Widows

On Thursday night we had made a reservation at La Bodega, a restaurant on the east side of Ajijic known for its entertainment and dance floor. Doug and I were attracted by the advertized live Doo Wop music, and thought it might be fun. We arrived at 7, and got a table on the lawn just about 3 meters from the dance floor, almost in a straight line with the two Doo Wop singers.  Sitting at the table next to us was a woman on her own. When her dinner was served and we realised she was really all by herself and not waiting for someone, we, gentlemen that we are, invited her to join us. Karen accepted and moved to our table.

Doug and Karen
  The music started, and with it the dancing. I quickly noticed one woman in a flippy skirt who seemed to know what she was doing. She was dancing with a man I took to be her husband (I was right), and the two of them could certainly cut a rug.

Kathy and hubby, doing it up right!
 Now when it comes to dancing, I'm not in the one per cent, but I am in the 10%. I enjoy it, and the music being played, mostly from the late 50's is what I love the most. After a couple of songs, I noticed several women, including the one I had noticed, dancing in a group the way women sometimes do. I walked over, looked at them, smiled, and said, I need a partner. Say no more. Ms. Flippy Skirt, whose name is Kathy [or Cathy?] took my hand and we were off and dancing.

After that, I was fair game. Any time I sat down one of those grand gals would look at me, crook a finger, and say, Michael...! I did inquire if there was a defibrillator on the premises but the singers had no pity. I was truly impressed by the spirit of these gals, and how much fun they were having. I really don't think you see this in many other retirement areas, certainly not Florida or Arizona or Victoria. I guess the thing about Ajijic is you at least have to have enough sense of adventure to come on down to México, and if you do, you'll meet others like you and it all happens.

Thanks, gals, I had a great night!


No comments:

Post a Comment