Sunday, February 2, 2014

Two weeks, tamales and La Banda

Thursday was the two week point of my six week trip. Hard to believe that one third is already down and gone. Since  my last post was Wednesday there's bit of catch up to do.

This Thursday I had la comida at Ritchie 88, a very excellent place right on Colón, the main street. There was a chap at a table himself, so we ended up dining together. I had a delicious tortilla soup - a beef broth with shredded tortilla seasoned with crumbled chorizo.

That afternoon I went over to Linda and Sandy's for a reunión. Linda put out a nice spread, and we had a lovely time relaxing on their mirador.


You can actually get a nice view of my apartment from there:


 but not nearly as beautiful as the sunset.


Couldn't even think abut dinner after those lovely botanas, so just took it easy.

__________________________________________________________

Friday was peaceful with a walk to El Torito to get coffee and enchiladas at Salvatore's right next door. Had lunch with a very nice couple from Colorado. That evening I found a restaurant I'd been looking for named Memo. I mean, I knew where it was, but it never seemed to be open. Opposite to the most common routine here, it only opens at 6:30. Had some nice taquitos. As you can see it's a very Mexican place, the giveaway being the promotional Coca-Cola chairs.


Walking there I caught a beautiful glimpse of Ajijic backlit:


On the way home passed several late night snack vendors. Since in México the big meal is mid-day, street vendors do a good job for something to munch on later.



__________________________________________________________

Yesterday, Saturday, I was out for my regular walk on the Ajijic malecon and discoverd a market just by the pier.



I decided to eat again at Maria Louisa so I could sit and watch the show. I tried their chimichanga:



What look suspiciously like Cheese Whiz was actually a delicious and delightfully picante cheese sauce.

Years ago when Diane and I first came to Ajijic, we were taken to a special almost secret place we called The Tamale Ladies. It became known later as The Hole in the Wall. It has no sign, not name, no roof and a dirt floor, and you had to know the schedule. Monday night was tamales, Wednesday Pozole, and so on. After a lot of work and help from the forum Inside Lakeside I figured out that it had closed. Fortunately, a local señora I met right by there told me that on Saturday evenings some women sold tamales from in front of their house. Be there about 6 and you can get some. I was there and I got some.


That's it for now. Tomorrow [or Tuesday] I'll report on The Superbowl in México.

Realised I forgot all about La Banda - wait for it!















No comments:

Post a Comment