Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Double delight & a new day

So last night, Monday night, I got peckish and strolled up to El Sarape thinking I'd just get a bowl of tortilla soup. Marcos, the owner, came over and told me the special of the night was tamales. Couldn't say no. I love tamales, and they were delicious. (Tourist note: tamales are very safe to eat, even from a street vendor, since they come right out of a steamer.)

The other delight was to run into an old friend, Steve, who was leaving not long after I sat down. He joined me while I dined and we had a ball catching up on old times.

Today I woke with a sore back. It said to me, Hey, what's with this walking four klicks a day on cobblestones? Waddya think I am, 50? So I decided to try and take it easy. At 11 I visited our property in Chula Vista, and met our tenants who are very nice people. Here you can see the front verandah and front garden.



The place is in good shape and in good hands. That was nice to see.

Later I met our friend Jaime for lunch. We went to a restaurant, Pannino, just east of town. It had American food and was very nice with OK food. Best was catching up with Jaime.

Walking home - a longer route than I had promised my back, I passed a tortilleria. You find one of these in every neighbourhood making fresh tortillas constantly.





The young woman is catching and stacking them as they  come to the end of the conveyer. Shades of Lucille Ball! I was also able to find where the tamale ladies are. They are an Ajijic institution and have been where they are for 25 years. It's quite an elegant place as you can see from the lobby.


They have, however, redecorated from the old days and now have a tile floor and a roof. And the tamales are to die for.  Planing quiet night tonight, so cheers.







No comments:

Post a Comment