Monday, January 27, 2014

Sunday Film & Bruno: RIP

Sunday, like most of my mornings, began with some work. About noon I headed out to find the theatre where the Jewish Film Festival was being held. To make a long story short, I walked about two klicks further than that I had to, and to make it in time took a taxi back.

The reason I was going was that the film, in a major blast of Jungian synchronicity, was an Israeli work about a teenage by kicked out of his home by his parents for cross-dressing. Really. I'm not making that up.  The film is titled Melting Away, or more properly, .להימס הלאה

Simply put it was a beautiful film, and I highly recommend it. I really can't say more for that would be to give too much away. (Yes, one could cavil about yet another beautiful trans person film, but...)

Dinner

When Diane and I first came to Ajijic in 1996, one of the first restaurants we discovered was a steak and fish grill called Bruno's. We went there several times and became friends with the owner, Bruno. He was a real down to earth guy who reveled in the wild stories circulating about him. Most importantly, his steaks were to die for, and even his baked potatoes were some of the best I've ever eaten.

So I decided to have a nice steak at Bruno's Sunday night. I made a reservation 
and turned up at 6:30 with my appetite in gear.By the time I had ordered the place was full. A woman I recognized as Bruno's daughter came by and we realised we knew each other. I asked after her father and got a shock. Bruno, she told me, had died the night before of natural causes at age 90. We knew, she told me, that he would be very upset if we closed, so we didn't. She and her son Kelton are going to continue the tradition, and I'm glad for that. I felt sad, but honoured to be part of the first night of the new world.

My "lady" filet was excellent, as were the sides of baked potato, piece of corn and deep fried cauliflower.
The grill works full time and is extremely hot so you get a nicely crisp outside without an overdone inside.


I even found a nice amber beer I hadn't tried before.


Bottom line, if you're ever in Ajijic be sure to try Bruno's.


Today, Monday, after what felt like a very busy few days, I took it easy. Walked for about 2 K, which was a break after yesterday's 6. Had a chicken quesadilla for lunch, and a coffee at the Black & White after. Tonight when I get peckish, I'll cook up some chorizo and make tacos.

I took a lot of photos of Ajijic street scenes, and many of the colours are fascinating. First, here's me at cafe Black & White.


And just a couple of teaser street scenes. For lots more, go to MORE PHOTOS to the right and click on 27 Jan Street Scenes or click  here: More streets photos







No comments:

Post a Comment