Friday, January 17, 2014

First full day

The first full day

Last night I passed out about 9:30, and woke up to a sunshiny day. The mornings, like the nights, are cool here ranging from 8 - 12 degrees, but the afternoons are in the mid 20s. Quite a change from -20!

Once I discovered that I possessed no coffee filters [or paper towels,] I puttered about until 10:30 doing email and luxuriating in the sun. Then I strolled to the Zocala [plaza] and had a cafe con leche and a croissant with ham and cheese ($4) at Cafe Black and White. The coffee was one of the best I'd had in a long time!


I then went on to do one of my most important errands - get a SIM card for my old iPhone 4. Turned out to be a piece of cake. Then I walked back to the Plaza, met my friend Jaime at his office and made a date for la comida next Tuesday, searched fruitlessly for coffee filters, and headed back home.

Ajijic is for walking, and for me, this trip, not having a vehicle, it's always going to be for  walking!  The thing is that you may not walk extraordinarily far in distance - I did about 3.5 K today, but the streets are so tricky to walk on that it takes extra effort - and calories I hope. In many places, even the sidewalk is cobblestone.

It's hard to describe the amazing charm of Ajijic. In terms of architecture, San Miguel Allende has it hands down. Ajijic is no silver city with ornate stone buildings and Spanish architecture. It is a true puebla, with small houses cheek to jowl interspersed with larger villas that were built first by Mexican families in Guadalajara and México City [DF] as summer resorts, and later purchased by Canadians and Americans looking to retire. As a result you have, within ten houses a villa, several local residences, and a business or two.

I will be revisiting all of this as time moves on. If you know me and want my Skype name or local cell number, please email.








No comments:

Post a Comment